Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day 2007



Today we remember all those who have given the ultimate sacrifice so that we may remain a free people. That sounds cliché but in reality there are many who are currently putting their lives on the line to maintain the free world as we know it today. While I was deployed to Kandahar I had to sad opportunity to witness several ramp ceremonies. These solemn occasions are when all of the military personnel gather on the flight line and form a long line many rows deep behind the aircraft in which a military member will take their final flight as they are taken back to the states to be buried. I stood in the darkness and in the heat of the day to honor my brothers in arms from the US & Canada while there. Today I will remember those hero’s and the others who have given their life for my freedom. My flag will fly proudly from my porch and Vicki & I will attend a memorial day parade in our area. I know that I will leave there frustrated by those who fail to stand when the colors pass by and those who seem to have forgotten the real meaning of this day is not the unofficial start of summer, but the day we remember those who have died to preserve our freedom.

Please take a moment today to remember those who have gone before us to protect us. As the Marine’s always toast, “A Toast my friends, to absent companions.” Those in attendance reply with “Absent Companion” then drain their glass and turn it over on the bar or table.

So I will toast my absent brothers and sisters today, and remember that Freedom Is Never Free!

Please check out the following links

Project Never Forget

Blackfive’s Fallen but not Forgotten

Blackfive’s Bagpipes Crying Post – Check out the Video Below



Our rememberance should not be limited to only those who have served under the US Flag in this war, I remember a particularly sad day in Afghanistan when we stood to honor 6 of our Canadian Brothers who gave their lives in support of freedom. Please join me in remembering.

Corporal Brent Donald PolandPrivate David Robert Greenslade
Private Kevin Vincent Kennedy
Corporal Aaron E Williams
Corporal Christopher Paul Stannix
Sergeant Donald Lucas

They gave the ultimate sacrifice to defeat those who would rule the world by terror and fear on 08 April 2007 in a IED attack just west of Kandahar City in the Sagin District.

No comments: